London Doctor Whovians – meetup group
We are a meetup group for Doctor Who fans in London! (or anyone whose TARDIS temporarily materialised in London). We are fun loving friendly people.. fans..who like to meet other fans and have a sociable time!
Our meetup is open to all Doctor Who fans.. casual, new, old, hard core, mildly curious, cosplayers, video makers, role players, party goers, convention goers.. Maybe you just discovered Doctor Who.. maybe you have been a fan for 30 years, or just became a fan of the *new* series (2005 onwards) and are discovering the old classic stories on DVD, or the novels or the audio adventures. It’s all fine.
We have two main hang-out venues for our monthly general socials –
1) the Pret A manger in Earl’s Court, with a TARDIS (full size ) parked right outside it.
2) The riverside cafe & blue bar areas of `Royal Festival Hall’ in South Bank (close to Waterloo/ Embankment)..where we find cosy sections with sofas and stuff (all free…).
At these socials, we gather and chat / bond/ meet n greet / hug etc 🙂 Some members bring their Whovian quizzes; Others bring their props, scarves, costumes.. Most people turn up in comfortable cloths…some wear Whovian items.. It’s all good.
Our conversations don’t always centre around DrWho either. We talk about creative things many of us seem to be doing… and other stuff… (Whovian fans have many other interests.. other shows, creative things, hobbies..)
We’ve also been going together to Comic Cons in London.. some dress up..others just go along or meet us there..or bump into us there.
There is also a Fan series in production (`Doctor Who London‘ by Imaginarium Fan Productions) . It has its own facebook page and youtube channel where you can check out our fan series#1. At the moment we’ve started on our fan series#2 . You can join in with that.. if you are into acting, prop making, writing scripts, directing, sfx, editing, producing etc. Contact / Talk to Mani Navasothy about this.
So here are some of our activities ..
• Cosplay (that’s Costume-Play).. Dressing up in character / costumes..
• Watching DrWho DVD’s at homes (This is obviously limited to small numbers, is at one of our homes, and by invite only. Get to know them and they’ll invite you..)
• Day / weekend trips out of London – Been to Cardiff DrWho exhibition, and are planning more trips to Cardiff, and to other locations for filming and stuff in 2017.
• London Whovian tours – location aficionados will like this. This is planned for coming months.
• Photoshoots (Mani & co once in a while take K9 & costumes to locations and do fun photoshoots – we want to do more of this in 2017).
• Our Fan video series (already mentioned above in detail). So far we have had Sandra Tena (now Mrs Cole) as our first female Doctor, then Stephen Cole as The Doctor (they met during filming and now are really married!! Yeah our own true story); There is also Mani who may or may not be an old or new incarnation of The Doctor (watch series#2 to figure it out); And we are looking for atleast 2 more Doctors!! (yes… there is a big story arc for S#2 and S#3).
• Costumes & props & Set-building (to support our photoshoots & video shoots)
• Anything else you can think of that is weird to many people..but not to us Whovians..
So …Time Vortex is the limit.. Come meet us.. soon 🙂
(Founder / owner of `London Doctor Whovians’)
Feb’2017, London, UK